Friday, June 14, 2013

From Dark Horse by Gary L. Blackwood - Male

From Dark Horse by Gary L. Blackwood - Male

COLE

You are correct, of course, when you say that I've never been a slave. But you're wrong when you say I don't understand. (hesitantly) When I was your age, I attended what is called a military school. I was a frail child, and my parents thought the regimen would make me stronger. And so it did . . . eventually. But I suffered through several years of being thrashed and humiliated by upperclassmen first. I begged my parents to let me come home, but they wouldn't hear of it. In time I learned that I had to stand up to those upperclassmen and fight back in order to make them respect me. I disliked fighting, but I couldn't let matters go on as they were, so I fought – not very well, but I got in enough licks to give them something to think about. I'd like to get in a few licks at this trial, too. Now, I know you're afraid of getting yourself in worse trouble by speaking up. But the fact is, to put it bluntly, you have nothing to lose. If we do not come up with some sort of defense, no matter how carefully I select the jury they are going to find you guilty of murder. We have to give them some reason to believe either that you are not guilty or that there were extenuating circumstances. We have to stand up and fight back, even a little. Tell me what happened. Tell me anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment