Saturday, June 8, 2013

Strife by John Galsworthy - MALE

StrifeJohn Galsworthy

There's not one single sentence on that paper that we can do without. All those
demands are fair. We have not asked anything that we are not entitled to ask.
What I said up in London, I say again now: there is not anything on that piece
of paper that a just man should not ask, and a just man give.
Ye best know wether the condition of the company is any better than the
condition of the men. Ye best know wether we can afford your tyranny... I tell
ye this Mr. Anthony. If ye think the men will give way the least part of an
inch, ye're making the worst mistake ye have ever made. Ye think because the
union is not supporting us, more to shame it! That we will come on our knees to
you one fine morning. Ye think because the men have got their wives and families
to think of, that it is just in question of a week or two!
I will say this to you Mr. Anthony, ye know your own mind, and I know mine. I
tell ye this, the men will send their wives and families to where ye country
will have to keep them and they will starve sooner than give way. I advise ye
Mr. Anthony to prepare yourself for the worst that can happen to your company.
(Beat) Mr. Anthony, you are not a young man now; from the time I remember, ye
have been an enemy to every man that has come into your works. I don't say that
ye're a mean man, or a cruel man. But you are not a young man anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment