Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Just Stopped By To See The Man by Stephen Jefferys - MALE

I Just Stopped By To See The ManStephen Jefferys

See this, Jessie. You made a certain sound. Then forty years later, that sound
crosses the Atlantic. Settles in English suburbs. I thought I was the only guy
in Britain who knew about it. Then I found out, there's hundreds of us. London,
Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow. It meant more to us than it did some new shit,
we're all saying, no man, go back, go back, find the root. We didn't live
through what you lived through. But we knew what it was you were saying. First
time I heard your voice, on an old go and crash - escaping - I heard your voice
and I thought "This is it." The blues is the blues for all time. You invented
it. But we took it on and we knew straight off what the blues meant. So look at me and you. Is it better to sing the blues but not to have them. Or
to have the blues and not sing them? We've been on tour, three months. Last two: Baton Rouge tomorrow. New Orleans
the day after. This is the shot. End of the show, I go back on stage and
introduce the encore. You. And you come on, the suit, the fedora, the guitar.
And you play with the band. Three number and out. The back from the dead gig.
Ten years time, people who were thousands of miles away will swear they were
there. Are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment