Thursday, July 18, 2013

FEMALE - JULIA

JULIA

Julia warns an employee that any attempt at blackmail will prove personally disastrous.
You have a helluva lot of nerve, coming in here threatening me! You actually thought I'd be intimidated by somebody like you? (A throaty laugh.) Besides, who would believe you? The truth is a strange thing, Joe, it's as valid as who speaks it. And we all know what you are-a nobody! You're a nothing bastard who drifted into town and were lucky enough to get hired by my husband, who gave you a clean shirt and some respectability. And now you have "information" and we should pay you to keep quiet? (Beat.)
Sure we take kickbacks. Hell, yes. Sure we make deals. How about that? (Beat.)

So, you actually think you're going to bleed us because you have this kind of information, huh? Jesus, you're a joke. A pitiful goddamned joke! You're in way over your head, friend. You think we don't take precautions? (A mocking laugh.) Whose name do you think is on those papers? Mine? Dewey's? Hell, no, Joe-yours! (A pause for his reaction.) Yes, that's right-yours! Maybe in the future you'll be more careful about what you sign, my friend.

So, now who's in trouble, Joe boy? You so much as blab a word to anyone, and we'll bury you so damned deep they'll never find you. Bury you! Understand!?

I had you pegged from the first, you know. You with your phony charm and unctuous good looks. I know your type; I've seen plenty. Uneducated, basically crude, with enough con to get by. And you're a user, I spotted that right off, and I told Dewey. And there's only one way to treat a user-you use him.

Now, I want you to go back to your little office and do your little job for which you're grossly overpaid. Continue to act important and wear decent clothes and have lunches on the expense account. I won't mention anything about this to Dewey. We'll just keep it between the two of us, okay? But don't ever threaten again, ever. Because next time, Joe, honey-it's back to the gutter. Do I make myself perfectly clear?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Micah, and I'm in a scene study class in college. I was hoping to do this scene, however my professor will only let us work on scenes from plays, not movies or television. I was wondering if the original blogger or anyone else reading, could respond and let me know where this scene is from? It would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete