Thursday, July 18, 2013

FEMALE- PAULA

PAULA
Paula, a waitress, speaks of the time when hopes for a successful acting career were a consuming, driving passion.

I was going to be famous. And rich, of course, oh sure. Anyway, this is what I'd promised myself. I think a lot of us set goals like that when everything is new and untarnished. But as time wears on, and the years slip into history, you learn to settle for less, to lower your expectations for ruling the world. I mean, after all, there are realities. When I carne to work here the idea was for it to be like a temporary thing, kind of a stopover on my way to stardom.

At first, for a heck of a long time, I didn't take the job seriously. I fluffed it, goofed off, you know. My mind wasn't in it. I don't know how they put up with me. I was lazy and flip and a terrible waitress. On my days off I'd go around to agents and casting directors and production companies trying to make connections and pick up acting work. I was in a little theatre group, a workshop, you name it. Every now and then I'd get work in a feature or something on TV. Nothing big, just in a background shot or a group or maybe I'd have a line or two. Just enough to keep me going because people would see me and compliment me and tell me I was this great type. But the jobs were few and far between. Most of the time-nothing. After a few years of living on the edge and hearing a lot of false flattery and phony promises I began to tire of it. It was a hopeless, frustrating life.

Little by little I began to settle in here. Started to get more into the job, got to be a better waitress, became professional. Now, I'm the best here. And the best paid. And I make the biggest tips. I do all right. And I like the job and the people. Especially myoId, steady customers. It's like-like they're family, you know. Occasionally, though, I wonder if I could have made it. I was a great-looking girl. And I had talent, I think. Who knows?

Would either of you like dessert?

1 comment:

  1. Does anybody know what play this is from? I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me.

    ReplyDelete